Thursday, August 9, 2012

sabbath musings...

i originally sent this to the bloom and passion kids door holders, because they are the ones i was praying for... but then, i realized that it's really for all of us...

so pcc family...i give you 'sabbath musings.'

If there is any group of people anywhere that deserves a sabbath rest, it's YOU. As I was pondering the upcoming break, I looked up the actual definition of REST: "Cease work or movement in order to relax, refresh oneself, or recover strength."

There are several things I love about that definition. First…

CEASE. "come to an end…"

"Cease striving and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth." Psalm 46:10

WORK or MOVEMENT. "activity involving mental or physical effort done in order to achieve a purpose or result…"

"The Lord will fight for you; you need only to be still." Exodus 14:14

"...Be still, for this is a sacred day. Do not grieve." Nehemiah 8:11

"Teach me, and I will be quiet; show me where I have been wrong." Job 6:24

"Be still before the Lord and wait patiently for him…" Psalm 37:7

"Be still before the Lord, all mankind, because he has roused himself from his holy dwelling." Zechariah 2:13

RELAX, REFRESH ONESELF, RECOVER STRENGTH. "rest or engage in an enjoyable activity so as to become less tired or anxious…"

"The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not be in want. He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters, he restores my soul. He guides me in paths of righteousness for his name's sake." Psalm 23:1-3

"Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me." Psalm 51:10

"Restore to me the joy of your salvation, and uphold me with a willing spirit." Psalm 51:12

"But they who wait for the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like eagles; they shall run and not be weary; they shall walk and not faint." Isaiah 40:31

**********

For many of you, this Sabbath rest doesn't actually mean a physical break from anything but Sunday responsibilities. You've still got a job, a family and people counting on you. For some of us, it's a break from our daily jobs as well. But, for all of us, it's a chance to lean in and ask God what he'd have us to CEASE. What work or movement of hands OR of mind is He leading you to be STILL over instead? What do you need to have refreshed or renewed in your life?

This sabbath rest is not merely a rest of your body, but I pray that it will be a rest of your mind, your heart, your soul…all that makes you YOU. If at all possible, enter into an attitude of rest EACH day, not only on Sunday. The Holy Spirit will be faithful to reveal what we need to be resting from if we will ask Him. Whether it's the striving we're so prone to in relationships and occupations or the constant whirlwind of mental torture over unknowns or fears…whether it's the renewal of the joy of our salvation or our physical or emotional strength, HE is the provider and sustainer of it all. His yoke is easy and His burden is light. He has been so faithful and generous to us. We'll do well to be in remembrance of all He's done and to thank Him from hearts overflowing with gratitude.

It's my prayer that you'll find yourself unburdened and in constant and close communication with your heavenly Father during this time. I pray that you will indeed return relaxed, refreshed and recovered, but I also pray that on the journey, you'll find depth and wholeness at the feet of the only One who is the lasting source of both.

BE. LOVED.


9 comments:

  1. Thanks Shannon! Such a great reminder and great description of Sabbath!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have no idea how timely this is! I just started crying as I read. So many of these verses have been rolling around in my head for the past couple of days as I've asked the Lord to speak to me and renew my spirit. It's almost as if He said, "I've heard you and here's what I have to say to you…"

    Thanks for taking the time to write it all down!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lindsey Davis JonesAugust 9, 2012 at 9:08 PM

    Thank you Shannon! I love how you broke that all down into meaning and verses. Just what I needed!

    Hope you have a great few weeks

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, this is much needed today.

    ReplyDelete
  5. beautifully written my friend! probably will read this several times over the next 2 weeks! love ya

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOWOWOWOWOW!

    Good word. good word indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Shannon, thank you so much for sharing this beautiful word with those of us outside of Bloom and Passion Kids as well. Like Janet, I will probably read several times during this sabbath and soak in these scriptures....Your gifts are blessings to many...me included <3

    You are loved!

    ReplyDelete
  8. a good reminder for all of us. I think we will use this as a devo on Sunday as we "rest" at home.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you so much for this!! Much needed truth. See you in a couple weeks!

    ReplyDelete