Thursday, February 3, 2011

what I learned from diggers and matchbox cars...

moving several old posts from my facebook page to here...so everything is in one place...

So this morning, I was making up Jack's bed. He's three years old. Under the covers I found the book that I told him he couldn't take to bed with him last night. It's called "Diggers" and it's his favorite book. This means that after I left his room last night, he proceeded to get out of bed, get the book and get back in bed with it, hiding it under the covers. This behavior follows closely on the heels of an episode at church earlier that same day. It seems that when he was leaving his class after the service, he was not quite ready to stop playing with the little white matchbox car he had found there. So, having recently become aware of the pockets on all his pants, he slipped the car in there on the way out the door with Daddy and got in the car to come home.

Here's what is interesting about these two scenarios...

1) Jack is not allowed to get out of his bed once he's in it. So, knowing this, he had to decide to disobey by getting out of bed to get his book.

2) He'd already asked if he could have the book in bed. I said no. So, he had to devise a plan to get what he wanted anyway...which meant TWO acts of disobedience.

3) EVERY time I pick him up from his class at church, he asks to bring the car he's been playing with all morning. I explain that it's not ours and that we don't take things that are not ours. I then go into this whole long diatribe about the fact that if he takes the car, then it won't be there for another little boy to play with and wouldn't he be sad if some boy in the service before him took a car home and then he couldn't play with it when he got there and blah blah blah...we eventually get out of the classroom with him deciding it's better to leave it. So...he knows we don't take cars home from church.

4) Daddy was picking him up yesterday and he had to decide that even though he knew the whole "mommy lecture" scene, he didn't really want to hear it from Daddy and after all, he has a pocket...so he'll just put it in there even though he knows it's wrong...after all...playing with it will be MUCH more fun than leaving it.

Of course, as is the case with both Jack and Maggie, eventually in the car, the guilt is too much to bear and the whole ugly story comes out. Daddy responds with explaining that he will now have to go back to the director of Preschool next week and explain that he took the car and ask for forgiveness. He also will not be able to play with the car that he's taken. As of this moment, it sits on our counter...a reminder of the perils of taking things that are not ours.

Then...later that same night, the "Digger Episode" occurs.

So...as I'm making Jack's bed this morning and find the book, I actually say out loud to myself, "Are you kidding me? Did you really think you weren't going to get caught?", when God graciously pricked my spirit and might as well have audibly said "Well, did you, Shannon? Jack's only doing what you do all the time..."

BOO. It's not fun at all when God uses your preschool children to illustrate your own fallen condition, by the way. But...as I finally said "Okay, Lord...where are we going with this?" I began to realize that I do the exact same thing that my sweet boy did multiple times yesterday. What's even worse is that I don't have the excuse that I'm three years old!

I make a conscious choice to sin. I even lead myself to believe that it's not a big deal because after all, I'm still doing a lot of "christian" things. I feel the poke in my rib cage by the Holy Spirit and more times than I care to count, I decide "nah...I'm not quite ready to be done with this, yet. I'll repent later." What I don't factor into these absurd decisions is the grief that it causes the Spirit, the fellowship that it breaks with my Creator and the holiness process that grinds to an abrupt halt in my life. The root of all of these attitudes and behaviors? Pride. Pride is at the root of all sin. CJ Mahaney defines pride as "contending for/competing for supremacy with God and lifting up our hearts against Him". Wow. Come on, that's not really what I'm doing... "Pride has only one end. Self-glorification." Oooo...yeah...that sounds about right. Yuck.

So, as I proudly judged my son this morning and thought, "who does he think he's dealing with here?", I received a much needed kick in the gut from Someone who has the only right to ask "Do YOU know Who you're dealing with here?"

I'm considering carrying a matchbox car around with me to remind me of what amazing grace I've been extended on the basis of nothing I've done. I am a very grateful girl today. Mahaney's daily prayer has become a great example to me in recent days of what I believe should be the posture of my heart.

"Father, I want to stand as close to your cross as I possibly can, because it's harder for me to be arrogant when I'm there."

Peace.

22 comments:

  1. Rose Holbert MoynierMarch 18, 2011 at 10:12 AM

    Amen! Thank you for expressing what others cannot....
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kristen Prator BagwellMarch 18, 2011 at 10:13 AM

    and there is chapter one of Shannon's new daily devotional for mommys. Thanks for that light . . . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Um... can you make a sermon on something your kids do EVERY day? Boy... I needed that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dang. You totally went there. Got another matchbox to spare?

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks friend, I needed that

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well said...thank you...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just love it when our kids teach us lessons like this and we are open enough to hearing God speak to us as it relates to our lives. Thanks for sharing Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, Shannon. Thanks for sharing that. It is a much-needed lesson we all need to hear. Out of the mouths (or actions) of babes.....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fabulous Shannon. I've been seriously mad at Maggie for arguing and not obeying lately. Now, I'm wondering, "Okay Lord, what are you telling me?" VERY eye-opening...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hannah Marie MastersonMarch 18, 2011 at 10:16 AM

    hee hee that digger book is my favorite book too. um u should seriously consider writing a book...no spelling errors at all... i expected nothing less haha :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amazing the things God reveals through your relationships with other ... thank you for sharing and adding to my time with God this morning ...

    ReplyDelete
  12. that was awesome! Thank you for opening your heart and sharing it with others!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Joanna Glover EtterMarch 18, 2011 at 10:17 AM

    WOW! Such wisdom! Being a mommy now, I can totally see this! You should start a weekly devotional blog called "Digging Deeper with Shannon Scott". Just a thought...Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ami Sandstrom ShroyerMarch 18, 2011 at 10:17 AM

    Hey there beautiful! You know I love it when you write!!! And on a light note, I'm sure Jackie-Buddy would LOVE to carry around a Matchbox car in HIS pocket as a reminder, too . . . Ha! :-) Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow! Definitely eye-opening and humbling. Thanks for sharing, Shannon!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Everyone is saying, "Thanks Shannon, I needed that." I'm saying, "Yeah...psh...thanks so much for bringing down the day. I was completely happy in my sin. Content, if you will, and you had to go and ruin it." So...yeah....THANKS SHANNON!!!! (No, but seriously....thank you....I really did need to hear it. It sucked...but I needed it.) :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Peggy Anderson DonohoMarch 18, 2011 at 10:18 AM

    Here's something to be thankful for in all this. Jack is not 15 and it wasn't a real car!!! Get 'em trained early!

    ReplyDelete
  18. wow....that's about all I can say.....wow! I miss your wisdom.....even when it does come in a frozen hamburger meat tube!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Marcy Wilson MutterMarch 18, 2011 at 10:20 AM

    Hey Shannon--good stuff--I think I have learned some things from my grandbabies, too! Oh, and thanks for the birthday wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  20. In tears. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Jen Anderson CarrozzaMarch 18, 2011 at 10:20 AM

    Thanks for such a clear cut picture for those of us who need their truth PLAIN. I am learning more from being a mother than I ever did as a full-fledged grown up.

    Blessings on you and yourn!

    ReplyDelete