Wednesday, February 2, 2011

thirty-five reasons not to sin...

I haven't posted a blog in six months. This is not because I don't have anything to say. Anyone who knows me knows that this is a virtual impossibility. I haven't posted because the amount of information, journeying, deciding, contemplation, wrestling, elation, trusting, stillness, sadness and silence have been too overwhelming to process. But, the time has come to begin the processing. So, I'm sure I'll be posting more frequently as I wrestle through it all. I know you're simply about to fall off of the edge of your seat with anticipation. If nothing else, this will accomplish the task of helping me process it all. That's what writing does for me.

One of the things that I am wrestling with is how amazingly PRESENT my flesh is at the drop of a hat. I think I've lived in this delusion that one of these days, I just simply won't have to worry about it any longer. I find myself wondering if those I admire so much in the faith even struggle any longer...because any time I hear them speak or sing, I find myself thinking "good grief! They're so like Christ!" Whether they're peaceful or powerful, articulate or artistic or any combination of these and more, I feel a profound sense of having NOT arrived when I'm around or impacted by these people.

Now, there's no need to instruct me on the fact that these people haven't actually arrived at total Christ-likeness. I know they're on a journey just like I am. I do find myself growing so weary of my sin, however, and wonder if there will ever be a measure of relief. The fact is...I'm still pondering this. Now, when I say "sin", I'm  not talking about my struggle with robbing banks, cheating on my taxes, lying about my kids' ages to get them into sports or schools, nothing like that. I am talking about the things I'm tempted to classify as "little". The things that I am tempted to brush aside as not being a big deal...but the very things that they Holy Spirit points at when I ask that dreaded question: "Lord is there anything in my life that isn't pleasing to you?" The list often feels too long to number. So...as I wrestle, I'm reminded of something I stumbled across a few years ago. It hit me profoundly then and has done so again as I've re-found it. Maybe it will help you as you wrestle with the things He's pointing at in your life. I know it's making me squirm...

35 Reasons Not To Sin

1. Because a little sin leads to more sin.
2. Because my sin invites the discipline of God.
3. Because the time spent in my sin is forever wasted.
4. Because my sin never pleases but always grieves God who loves me.
5. Because my sin places a greater burden on my spiritual leaders.
6. Because in time my sin always brings heaviness to my heart.
7. Because I am doing what I do not have to do.
8. Because my sin always makes me less than what I could be.
9. Because others, including my family, suffer consequences due to my sin.
10. Because my sin saddens the godly.
11. Because my sin makes the enemies of God rejoice.
12. Because sin deceives me into believing I have gained what in reality I have lost.
13. Because sin may keep me from qualifying for spiritual leadership.
14. Because the supposed benefits of my sin will never outweigh the consequences of disobedience.
15. Because repenting of my sin is such a painful process, yet I must repent.
16. Because sin is a very brief pleasure for an eternal loss.
17. Because my sin may influence others to sin.
18. Because my sin may keep others from knowing Christ.
19. Because sin makes light of the cross, upon which Christ died for the very purpose of taking away my sin.
20. Because it is impossible to sin and follow the Spirit at the same time.
21. Because God chooses not to respect the prayers of those who cherish their sin.
22. Because sin steals my reputation and robs me of my testimony.
23. Because others once more earnest than I have been destroyed by just such sins.
24. Because the inhabitants of heaven and hell would all testify to the foolishness of this sin.
25. Because sin and guilt may harm both mind and body.
26. Because sins mixed with service make the things of God tasteless.
27. Because suffering for sin has no joy or reward, though suffering for righteousness has both.
28. Because my sin is adultery with the world.
29. Because, though forgiven, I will review this very sin at the Judgment Seat where loss and gain of eternal rewards are applied.
30. Because I can never really know ahead of time just how severe the discipline for my sin might be.
31. Because my sin may be an indication of a lost condition.
32. Because to sin is to not love Christ.
33. Because my unwillingness to reject this sin now grants it an authority over me greater than I wish to believe.
34. Because sin glorifies God only in His judgment of it and His turning of it to good use, never because it's worth anything on it's own.
35. Because I promised God would be Lord of my life.

Relinquish your rights.
Reject the sin.
Renew the mind.
Rely on God.

©1992 Christian Communicators Worldwide, Inc.

peace.

2 comments:

  1. I stole this and posted it. Such great things to ponder yet so hard at the same time. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely relate to you feelings, as well as being in agreement with your list.

    I see Francis Chan on you link list, Francis rocks.

    ReplyDelete