Sunday, March 20, 2011

reason #2 on the lent list...

Reason #2 not to sin.......

Because my sin invites the discipline of God.

As a parent I can totally relate to this one from a human perspective. I give my kids choices all the time. We teach them about consequences and let them know what they can expect for violating whatever we've said to do. When they do inevitably violate something, discipline always follows. The degree of discipline certainly varies depending on the offense, but there is discipline nonetheless. It's not all that different a subject when we're talking about the discipline of God. I do think it's important to make a very important distinction right now.

For a believer, the discipline of God is very different from the wrath of God. As believers, we will never experience the wrath of God. Every single bit of wrath He had toward us because of our sin was poured out on His Son. He has no more wrath for us. This should be an extremely comforting thought for you and for me. He does, however, have wrath left for those who have rejected Him. They will spend eternity experiencing the full measure of that wrath separated from Him and experiencing an eternity of spiritual death. The wages of sin = death. Every time. Glory to God, Jesus died the death that was meant for me. God's wrath toward me has been satisfied in Him. So, since my sin invites God's discipline and not His wrath, what's the purpose of the discipline?

I loved this article on the discipline of God and the verses cited:


"God uses discipline as a last resort. If all God needed to justify mankind to himself was a bigger cattle-prod, then Christ died for nothing! No, God's plan for the earth is love first, discipline last. To get us to listen and repent, he will use deep conviction, the rebuke of friends, "coincident" sermons, the quickening of Scripture, and every other means before disciplining us. But if we resist God's Spirit of mercy, we are promised the rod of correction. When God disciplines, the punishment fits the crime. Time and again, we realize that we cannot get away with unrepentant sin. God is sculpting us into holy vessels, and the process can be painful."

Job 5:17-18 (NIV) "Blessed is the man whom God corrects; so do not despise the discipline of the Almighty. For he wounds, but he also binds up; he injures, but his hands also heal."

Prov 20:30 (NIV) Blows and wounds cleanse away evil, and beatings purge the innermost being.

Rev 3:19 (NIV) [Jesus] "Those whom I love I rebuke and discipline. So be earnest, and repent."

Rom 11:22 (Jer) Do not forget that God can be severe as well as kind...

Heb 10:31 (NIV) It is a dreadful thing to fall into the hands of the living God.

Rom 8:28 (NIV) And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.

"Those who are able to consistently sin and not be rebuked by God are not His children. Those who have been born again are seized by deep conviction when they sin, and if they do not repent they are always "spanked" by God for it. Is this true in your life? Do you pass the family test?"

In all honesty, I believe I'm guilty of minimizing the severity of the sins in my life because I view them as small. My sin invites the discipline of God, plainly and simply. God is conforming me to the image of His Son and He can have nothing to do with my sin. He must purge it from me.....polishing what is of Him while eradicating what is of me. It truly is a refiner's fire of discipline.

"He is a refiner's fire, and that makes all the difference. A refiner's fire does not destroy indiscriminately like a forest fire. A refiner's fire does not consume completely like the fire of an incinerator. A refiner's fire refines. It purifies. It melts down the bar of silver or gold, separates out the impurities that ruin its value, burns them up, and leaves the silver and gold intact. He is like a refiner's fire.

It does say FIRE. And therefore purity and holiness will always be a dreadful thing. There will always be a proper "fear and trembling" in the process of becoming pure. We learn if from the time we are little children: never play with fire! And it's a good lesson! Therefore, Christianity is never a play thing. And the passion for purity is never flippant. He is like fire and fire is serious. You don't fool around with it.

But it does say, he is like a REFINER'S fire. And therefore this is not merely a word of warning, but a tremendous word of hope. The furnace of affliction in the family of God is always for refinement, never for destruction." -  John Piper (on Malachi 3:2)

Oh God, give me the grace not to invite Your discipline upon me with willful sin. Keep me sensitive to Your Spirit as You lead me to repentance.

peace.

7 comments:

  1. When I think about this...the discipline of God, it's always aeasy to think on the discipline of our earthly father )pr mother). While never fun at the time, now as a 29 year old, I am glad my parents chose discipline. It's hard to enjoy discipline, with the shame you felt as well as the sting sometimes, but sin that is left alone only gets worse (as we talked about yesterday). Of course fleeing from sin is always a better route.


    And His grace for us is AMAZING and exactly what we don't deserve, but this should not make us belittle our sin or the discipline we DESERVE. God has taught me more and more to see the benefits of the discipline He gives me and at the same time, stop my sinning so I am not always being disciplined. Do you ever see a kid and think, "doesn't he know if he stops doing that, he will stop being punished"! And yet, sometimes we fail to look at it the same way in our lives.

    I think Hebrews has a great way of talking about it and includes a great verse from Proverbs 3:11-12:

    Hebrews 12:1-11
    "Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith. For the joy set before him he endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. Consider him who endured such opposition from sinners, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart.

    In your struggle against sin, you have not yet resisted to the point of shedding your blood. And have you completely forgotten this word of encouragement that addresses you as a father addresses his son? It says,
    “My son, do not make light of the Lord’s discipline, and do not lose heart when he rebukes you, because the Lord disciplines the one he loves, and he chastens everyone he accepts as his son.”[a]

    Endure hardship as discipline; God is treating you as his children. For what children are not disciplined by their father? If you are not disciplined—and everyone undergoes discipline—then you are not legitimate, not true sons and daughters at all. Moreover, we have all had human fathers who disciplined us and we respected them for it. How much more should we submit to the Father of spirits and live! They disciplined us for a little while as they thought best; but God disciplines us for our good, in order that we may share in his holiness. No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it."

    Lord, help me flee from the sin that entangles me (or I invite in my life) and help me understand and remember that discipline is hard, but much needed for the sins I do commit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Margie Hughes JohnsonMarch 21, 2011 at 6:27 AM

    What a thought to ponder! Through discipline, I am refined and am assured of my position in the family of God. There is much good and growth that comes of it. Yet, when I consider the holiness, righteousness and power of the One doing the disciplining, I am in awe that I'm even alive. May I be quick to hear the Spirit as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michelle Celosse FortierMarch 21, 2011 at 6:28 AM

    Beautifully written, equally painful! Glory to God!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am now charged to take a deep look at the sin in my life, name it, and truly repent. Not just an I'm sorry here and there but a "family meeting" with God. To hear His voice of conviction, forgiveness, and love. It is time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Scott and Stephanie ReidMarch 21, 2011 at 6:29 AM

    from the job 5 reference, i certainly do not "despise the discipline of the Almighty." i yearn for it. if He did not convict me of sin (and in those times of my disobedience, correction and discipline), i would stay in an uncomfortable, hea...rtbreaking place. sin hurts me and it can hurt the people around me/the people that live life with me. He wants to correct because He knows my sin will cause harm to me and to others. the same love that allowed His Only Son's humiliating crucifixion provokes His correction for my good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. you ladies are challenging me. good for the soul!

    ReplyDelete