Monday, March 21, 2011

reason #3 on the lent list...

Reason #3 not to sin.......

Because the time spent in my sin is forever wasted.

This one is particularly hard to swallow if, like me, you're a person that takes a measure of pride in your time management and organizational skills. I love having a to-do list and then structuring my day so as to accomplish the things on the list and get all of the little boxes checked. When that occurs, I feel quite satisfied that I've made good use of the time for that day. Conversely, when I feel like the day didn't go as planned, or that nothing substantial was accomplished, I have a saying....."well that's time I'll never get back!" It's supposed to be tongue in cheek and is usually funny and agreed with by all around because we've just all seen the same ridiculous disappointment of a movie, or participated in something laborious and boring.

But, when I realize that the time I've spent in sin, and believe me there are some sins that I've clung to for months or years at a time, is forever wasted and unable to be retrieved, it produces godly sorrow and a desire NEVER to let my sin become so front and center again.

Scripture has a host of things to say about the value of the time we've been given. I have such a desire to learn to number my days and to spend them operating in light of eternity instead of wasting them on sinful fleshly desires and wasted moments and days. I view the time spent with my husband and children differently, I view my job differently, I view my worship differently and I view my leisure differently when I have eternity in view.

Does this principle impact anyone else?

So teach us to number our days that we may get a heart of wisdom. - Psalm 90:12

Be very careful, then, how you live—not as unwise but as wise, making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil. - Ephesians 5:15-16

Show me, O LORD, my life's end and the number of my days; let me know how fleeting is my life. You have made my days a mere handbreadth; the span of my years is as nothing before you. Each man's life is but a breath. - Psalm 39:4-5

Do not neglect your gift, which was given you through a prophetic message when the body of elders laid their hands on you. Be diligent in these matters; give yourself wholly to them, so that everyone may see your progress. Watch your life and doctrine closely. Persevere in them, because if you do, you will save both yourself and your hearers. - 1 Timothy 4:14-16

peace.

12 comments:

  1. Scott and Stephanie ReidMarch 21, 2011 at 7:19 AM

    when i was 11 years old, i purposed in my heart to live life for eternal things. this, directly in response to an illustration i heard from a youth pastor: if a bird were to pick up one grain of sand from the myrtle beach, fly to the moon dropping the sand, fly back to the beach, pick up another grain to take to the moon...until all of the shore was removed...that would be the beginning of eternity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Scott and Stephanie ReidMarch 21, 2011 at 7:22 AM

    i realized that even if i lived to be 100 years old, my life was a breath...and THE ONLY THING THAT MATTERED WAS WHAT I DID THAT IMPACTED ETERNITY. which, of course, meant for me sharing Christ to the greatest extent possible. my heart is ...sorrowful for time wasted, shannon. from 11years to 36...i am heart-broken that there have been times when i wasn't living for that most important cause. i am now learning that though i so want to DO for Christ like martha...i soooo want to BE with Christ like mary too...and to receive the mercy of His thoughts toward me. my gratitude is enormous in contemplation this morning that His blood covers my wasted time...

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh, me too...to the praise of His glorious grace, indeed. "that His blood covers my wasted time..." what a beautiful thought.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wendy Grimsley DurwaldMarch 21, 2011 at 9:35 AM

    My biggest "Type A, organized, structured" struggle....letting my time be SPIRIT led and not "wendy" led! Surrendering "my" plans for the day to HIS. Continually learning this lesson it seams.... Like you said...."to the praise of His glorious grace"!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, Shannon, you know we are very similar in our organizational skills and it probably won't surprise you as I don't like to waste time. My life has changed a lot in the last year which gives me way more time in my day, and I don't have three little kids to look after, but I still have a to-do list and projects I want to accomplish.

    I look at this principle in this way. If I spend an hour on the phone chatting with someone that leads to an hour of gossip, I always leave the conversation thinking... well, that was a waste and I regret that time. But, if I spend an hour reading the Bible, praying, talking to God, listening, reflecting on God, I am refreshed. I feel exactly the opposite. Now, I am not saying I am perfect and every day I spend that hour doing said things, but I don't know why I don't because it is an hour spent on something that matters. If I had one hour left in my life, what would I rather be doing, sinning or spending time with my Father?

    Today I am reflecting on the way sin is wasting my time with my Father and asking God to open my eyes to these sins.

    Shannon, thanks for these challenges, I am loving reading and reflecting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Margie Hughes JohnsonMarch 21, 2011 at 6:36 PM

    Man. This is definitely an impactful one. That sin that so easily entangles us leaves a wake behind it that continues to waste our time. Relationships can be wounded, reputations are marred, routines are interrupted, and there can be so much ground to make up. I love what Stephanie said "His blood covers my wasted time..." Hallelujah, Thine the glory!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jane Jeannie KopeckyMarch 21, 2011 at 6:37 PM

    When I sin, it's like putting on a garment that - because of Jesus - doesn't fit any more. I'm praying for the wisdom and grace to look in the mirror and realize when I've slipped something on that disagrees with who God says I am now and for the ability to quickly take it off and move on. I have wasted the most time in my life wallowing in self loathing when I should have been rejoicing that the ugliness of sin no longer defines who I am in Christ Jesus. Thanks for the comments - great reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just wanted you to know I'm on board even tho' I won't comment today except to say, "Amen", and I am touched by what the Holy Spirit led you to say.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Christina...wow. LOVE what you said. So practical. If I had an hour left, what would I want to be doing? SO TRUE. Jane! Putting on a garment that doesn't fit. RIGHT BETWEEN THE EYES. Thank you for that. Keep posting girl. You have wisdom to share. Margie...those consequences you mentioned: relationships, reputations and routines...man...what hard lessons to learn...

    ReplyDelete
  10. So I am coming realize that at the root of my wasted time is selfishness. Looking to fulfill my need for that moment before meeting someone else's that is right in front of me. I also have a choice to make each day: live a life looking for God so I can "grow" spiritually OR live each moment believing I am created for Him, to be used by Him, and in turn giving Him the glory! I am not my own.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Michelle Celosse FortierMarch 27, 2011 at 9:47 PM

    I realize that I'm WAY behind...but I am living in this right now. When a task is before me I do a good job, however I have an issue with distraction. Our youth pastor just preached on this subject (Eph 5:15-16) I love how the KJV says v.16...Redeeming the time, because the days are evil. Oh how I want to keep my focus on Him and redeem the time.

    ReplyDelete