Friday, March 25, 2011

reason #7 on the lent list...

Reason #7 not to sin.......

Because I am doing what I do not have to do.

Today was a full day of birthday celebrating for my Maggie who turned 9 years old. As we celebrated, on and off through the day, I pondered this reason. I do not have to sin. I am not a slave. I have the power that raised Christ from the dead available to me. I have the Holy Spirit of God. I have an ocean of grace available to me and new mercies every morning completely sufficient for that day. When I sin, I am doing what I do not have to do. Why would I do it? It definitely means that I can't coast through this life because my struggle against sin will continue until I enter His presence and I'm no match for it without His power. But WITH His power, I can overcome it. I'm tired of struggling with it. I want to overcome it.

peace.

5 comments:

  1. Is anybody experiencing spiritual warfare? I surely am since starting this journey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes ma'am. Considered not continuing this actually. But I think that's true of any time i prioritize the work of the Spirit in my life rather than coasting along in a Christian life that blends in with the world to the point of being almost indistinguishable rather than set apart.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Scott and Stephanie ReidMarch 26, 2011 at 5:39 PM

    oh my, yes anne. but didn't think about the timing and possible connection.

    my struggle has been with some personal fears. fear and lack of faith is sin...and not taking captive my thoughts to Christ... and the temptation to sin IS spiritu...al warfare. satan is like a roaring lion prowling around looking for someone to devour. "resist him, firm in your faith, knowing that the same experiences of suffering are being accomplished by your brethren who are in the world. after you have suffered for a little while, the God of all grace, who called you to His eternal glory in Christ, will Himself perfect, confirm , strengthen and establish you." from i peter 5.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Scott and Stephanie ReidMarch 26, 2011 at 5:39 PM

    glory to God that He is the GOD OF ALL GRACE...that i do not have to sin. (i want to overcome it too, shannon..."WITH His power.")

    ReplyDelete
  5. Satan would love for us to rationalize, become complacent, and overlook our sin. God calls to repentance, then trusting and believing that His strength is enough to defeat our battles. If I'll only start to live this. Thanks girls!

    ReplyDelete