Wednesday, March 23, 2011

reason #5 on the lent list...

Reason #5 not to sin.....

Because my sin places a greater burden on my spiritual leaders.

A great example of this would be Achan's sin in the Old Testament. I found a great commentary by RC Sproul on this particular subject.....

Following the fall of Jericho, Joshua sent a force of around 3,000 men to attack the city of Ai, but the Israelite army was soundly defeated and thirty-six fighters were killed (Josh. 7:2-5). This prompted Joshua to cry out to the Lord in great anguish, for how could He have brought the people so far only to see them lose the battle at Ai (vv. 6–9)?


What Joshua did not know but what we understood as soon as we read verse 1 is that there was a specific reason why the people failed to take the city of Ai just as they had conquered Jericho. Instead of leaving all of the devoted things of the city of Jericho for the Lord, Achan (of the kingly tribe of Judah no less) kept some of them for himself (v. 1). Once our Creator explained this to Joshua, everything began to make sense (vv. 10–12). This sin would have to be dealt with as an illustration of God’s holiness and Israel’s responsibility, and Joshua was ordered to tell the people why they had been judged at Ai and what they should do about it (vv. 13–15).

This initial warning to the people should have made Achan come forward on his own and repent of his sin. Unfortunately, this is not what occurred. Instead, he waited for God to identify him before he confessed his sin (vv. 16–21). Lest we think the Lord unjust to destroy Achan and his household even after they “repented” (vv. 22–26), we should note how Achan’s failure to confess on his own and the failure of his family to do the same reveals a lack of true contrition. John Calvin comments that Achan gave no “sure indication of repentance; being, as it were, overcome with terror, he openly divulged what he would willingly have concealed.” God always forgives the penitent, but the absence of true repentance will ultimately bring condemnation.

The thought of being a spiritual liability to others and especially to spiritual leaders over me is terrifying. Because of Achan's selfishness, shortsightedness and SIN, the Israelites were defeated in battle and their leader was left wondering why. Most of us would say we'd never purposely put our leaders in that position, but are we intentionally remembering that any sin we harbor is a burden on them and could irrevocably alter the landscape of the ministry? Do we really think about the position that we put them in? Or......do we rationalize what we're doing as inconsequential? Do we assume no one will ever find out and that we're sinning in a vacuum? Many of us can point to one story after another of a person's very public and very messy "fall from grace" in ministry. Do we shake our heads and wonder "what were they thinking?" or "how did this happen?"

It happened because they stopped being intentional about putting to death "little" and "inconsequential" sins along the way and it can just as easily happen to us. We are always one sin away from burdening our spiritual leaders in a way we'd never see coming.

God save us from rationalizing sin away and assuming it doesn't matter. May we never be a spiritual burden or liability to those whose leadership You've placed us under. Keep our hearts sensitive and our feet quick to run from evil and to repentance.

peace.

6 comments:

  1. Lisa Benton LeemanMarch 23, 2011 at 9:21 AM

    Can i just tell you that you are AMAZING. So thoughtful, wise, and a great writer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our sin not only affects our spiritual leaders, but it affects our nation's leaders. It is certainly obvious to me that as we Christians have neglected the Great Commission (Go and make disciples....Matt.28:19-20), we have a nation of ungodly leaders as well as a nation that has turned it's back on God. I am broken in heart as I look back on my life of sin in this area. The generations after me will reap the consequences of my generations' sin.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely a good reminder and not something we tend to think about. Our sin usually effects more than just us, something we tend to forget in the moment of sinning, but a regret that is hard to remember when you realize the effects.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shannon, thank you, you are sharpening me. Anne, what a great point about generations. It is hard to swallow that my sin effects people. It would be so much easier just to live like it didn't. Lord, may I be moved to repentance because it does.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Margie Hughes JohnsonMarch 23, 2011 at 9:41 PM

    First, let me say thank you, Shannon, (and the rest of you!) for what you're putting in to this journey. This list has been so good. I find myself recounting the reasons not to sin as I go about my day. I'm constantly praying that God wi...ll help me to be mindful and take every thought captive.
    Today, I've been considering the different people that "lead" me: husband, boss, bible study teacher - and how I might be hindering them. I want to give this more thought, and allow God to search my heart in this area. It's very likely that the "inconsequential" sins in my life are affecting those I never would have expected. Achan is a great example. I'm sure the items he kept from Jericho seemed "inconsequential". He probably thought, "no one will ever know!" Yet an entire army was defeated due to his sin. Sobering.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Scott and Stephanie ReidMarch 23, 2011 at 10:20 PM

    thank you all again today. i only ever want to be encouragement and edification and servant to those whom i am led by on this journey.... i despise the thought of ever letting someone i esteem down. i definitely loathe the thought of caus...ing another disheartening disappointment (especially someone who has invested in me). Holy Spirit, come to convict (LOUD in my ear and resounding in my heart) before my err may hurt ANYONE...especially the "anyone"s in my life who have been to me spiritual mentors and care-givers and leaders.

    ReplyDelete